Baked Eggs with Seasonal Veggies
Author: Elana Iaciofano
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
When shifting into spring mode, be sure to switch up your veggies too! Baked Eggs with Seasonal Veggies includes eggs, zucchini, fava beans, potatoes, mushrooms, scallions, and Ricotta cheese to produce a zesty meal for all to enjoy.
- 4 Eggs
- 2 medium zucchini, cut length-wise and then chopped into ½" pieces, then cut in half again
- 2 cups fresh fava beans (from about 2 pounds pods) or frozen fava beans, thawed
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, cubed (about ½" thick)
- 5 scallions with roots removed
- ½ cup dried morels (1/2 ounce)
- 8 oz Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 3 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Divided ¼ tsp sea salt freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prep all the vegetables.
- Add the chopped zucchini, potatoes and scallions to a heavy-bottomed sauté pan and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Toss all the vegetables to coat. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Meanwhile, prep the mushrooms. In a heatproof bowl, cover the morels with the boiling water and let stand for about 15 minutes to soften. Drain the morels, rinse and coarsely chop them.
- Next, prepare the fava beans. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a simmer, and place the beans in the water. Simmer for about 3 minutes, then remove from the water and immediately run cold water over them to stop the cooking.
- Slip the outer skin of each fava bean off by pinching a little slit in the skin and slipping out the inner bean and set aside until ready to use.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, make room for the eggs by pushing the veggies aside to create four "wells" amongst the vegetables. Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp Colavita Olive Oil into the wells.
- Crack 1 large egg into each well, keeping the yolk intact. Season eggs with salt and pepper and pour.
- Place tablespoon-sized dollops of ricotta cheese around the veggies and eggs.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs whites are set.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle in the cooked fava beans and mushrooms and garnish with chopped fresh chives.