Fresh Cabbage and Cucumber Salad
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
This vibrantly green, Fresh Cabbage and Cucumber Salad will give you a boost of energy and all of the nutrients you need from the veggie juices. It makes the perfect side dish to the protein of your choice!
- Wash the cabbage under cold water and remove any leaves that are discolored or wilted.
- Place it on a cutting board and cut it in half lengthwise so that the stem of the cabbage is split in two.
- Place one half of the cabbage flat side down onto the cutting board and begin slicing very thinly, as if you’re shaving it off with your knife. You will get bunches of long thin strips of cabbage; cut them in half down the middle to make shorter strips. It is easiest to do this in batches so that you don’t have a huge pile of cabbage on your cutting board. Keep going until you have sliced all of the cabbage.
- Place the sliced cabbage in a large bowl, season with a teaspoon of salt and begin squeezing it with your hands. Squeeze it for a few minutes, as if you’re kneading dough – combined with the salt, this will release the juices, making the cabbage soft.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then in half again, making long strips. Dice these strips to small pieces. Combine with the cabbage.
- Mince the scallions and combine with the cabbage and cucumbers.
- Mince the dill and add to the cabbage mixture.
- Mix all the vegetables well and taste for salt. Add the pepper, Colavita Olive Oil, and Colavita Chardonnay Vinegar. Mix well, taste for seasoning, and adjust to your liking, if needed. Serve as a side dish to any protein of your choice.
*Note: It’s best to serve this salad freshly-prepared. If you make it ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours undressed, until you’re ready to serve.