Olive Oil Gelato
Author: Elana Iaciofano
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
The delicious taste of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil will be a delightful surprise in this smooth and creamy gelato. It will be your new favorite summer refreshment! Top it with crunchy pistachios or fresh summer fruit like peaches.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and ¼ cup of sugar and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan combine the milk, cream, remaining cup of sugar and salt. Scrape the vanilla beans into the mixture and add the pod. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture has reached a simmer and the sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Remove the pods from the pot and slowly whisk the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return the mixture back to the pot and cook the mixture carefully over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thickened, coats the back of your spatula, and holds a clear path when you run your finger across the spatula (about 175°F on a thermometer). This should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove the custard from the heat and place it in a large bowl. Allow it to cool completely, stirring occasionally as it cools to keep a film from developing on the top layer. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Halfway through the churning process add the Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Enjoy right away or transfer to plastic containers and keep frozen.