Sugar Peas Pesto & Ricotta Cheese Pizza
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
Welcome spring with this tasty Sugar Peas Pesto & Ricotta Cheese Pizza. Make a delicious sweet nutty pizza that you can serve to your guests or just for yourself when sugar peas are in season. This refreshing pizza is versatile enough that it can be served as a quick appetizer or as a main course dish as well.
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 16 oz of sugar snap peas
- 12 oz ricotta cheese
- Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- fresh parsley and mint for garnish
- sea salt
- For the Pesto: 4 oz of fresh peas, shelled
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (about 1 cup’s worth)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 2 tsp honey
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more as needed
- pinch of sea salt
- First, prepare the pesto. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the shelled peas, fresh parsley, mint, pistachios, ½ cup Colavita Olive Oil, lemon juice, honey and pinch of sea salt.
- Pulse until the mixture is smooth. It should be a very spreadable consistency, so add more Colavita Olive Oil if it seems dry. Transfer the pesto to a medium bowl.
- Heat your oven to 500 °F. If using a pizza stone, allow the stone to heat in the oven for 30 minutes before baking on it. Stretch out one of the pizza dough rounds onto a pizza peel dusted with flour, or onto a cookie sheet (if not using a pizza stone).
- Spread the ricotta cheese on top of the pizza dough. Using a teaspoon, dollop the pesto across the top of the pie. Distribute the remaining unshelled peas over the top and drizzle with Colavita Olive Oil. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with freshly chopped parsley and mint and serve immediately.
- Optional: if desired, once the pizza comes out of the oven you can also garnish with a small drizzle of honey.